- Businesses seeking a predictable and consistent monthly fee
- Companies which operate both in person and online
- Operations which rely on virtual terminals e.g. office environments and phone orders
Not suitable for
- Businesses who want to customize the platform for their needs but who don’t have a developer on hand
- Operations requiring a complex inventory management system
- Comes with a mobile app for both iOS and Android
- Offers a customizable shopping cart for eCommerce companies
- Companies can integrate the payments API and adapt for their needs
- Choose from providing web payments or an invoice function for customers
- All transactional information, invoicing and more provided in one database
- Useful inventory management system for website payments, virtual terminals and the mobile app
Equipment and Software Quality
Each business is given a unique merchant ID which goes with their account. While the service is high quality and fully functional, it is not entirely managed by FattMerchant. In other words, FattMerchant is not the direct processor for the merchant accounts and instead partners with Worldpay for the processing of payments.
Those who operate eCommerce businesses can make use of the customisable shopping cart provided by FattMerchant. The design of the cart can be customised according to business needs, giving online companies an easy way to sell online.
Those who take phone orders or key in payments from an office environment can make use of the virtual terminal option, which comes with a comprehensive customer database. Furthermore, invoicing and inventory management is also included, and the virtual terminals can connect with the credit card readers. Those who don’t want a full shopping cart can opt for the basic website payments system instead.
Businesses which operate in physical stores can make use of Dejavoo terminals in their stores. One perk of this service is that, for those who already have terminals, FattMerchant will reprogram it to work with the new setup without any fees charged. This option is perfect for those worried about security, as the equipment can be combined with a protection plan for an extra cost.
The FattMerchant Payments API is available for those who have specific software needs. That said, the company is recommended to have a developer on hand to make these changes, as the platform requires specialist knowledge to change.
FattMerchant’s mobile processing setup is compatible with the two major phone systems – iOS and Android. To make this setup work, merchants will need the Chipper 2X BT or the BBPOS Chipper BT mobile card reader too. Once connected, this system will support EMV payments, with the 2X model also working with Apple Pay. There is no additional cost attached to access to features such as invoicing and inventory with the mobile plan at FattMerchant.
Many people love the web portal provided by FattMerchant, as the system features a customer database, inventory management, centralized catalog, invoicing, reporting and useful alerts for low stock. There is also the ability to manage tax rates, attach image files, set discounts and more. Invoices can be sent from the mobile app or the virtual terminal, while the reporting features come at no additional cost for those who are processing under $500,000 per year. One feature customers have highlighted they wish was in more depth was the tutorials, as some struggle to make sense of the system when they first get started.
Rates and Fees
The services provided by FattMerchant are provided as separate items, as opposed to a single bundle which is paid for as a whole. This means that companies should pick and choose what they want from the service. In other words, those who opt for everything – the terminals, the virtual terminal, the integrations, the API, the shopping cart and the mobile POS – will be paying much more than those who just want a shopping cart and virtual terminal.
Interchange fees must be paid by the merchant regardless of the fact that wholesale pricing is included. This is because these costs are routed to the card networks, making them mandatory. So if wholesale pricing was $0.08 per transaction and an average interchange was 1.60% + $0.10 for a physical transaction, the merchant would end up with processing costs of 1.60% + $0.18 – as well as the monthly fees charged by FattMerchant.
The pricing associated with FattMerchant will change according to the size of the merchant signing up. Furthermore, certain plans are only available for merchants of particular size. In other words, those who process over $500,000 a year will not be eligible for the Starter Plan. The pricing breakdown is as follows:
- Businesses processing up to $500,000 a year – plans start at $99 a month plus 8c a transaction and direct cost
- Businesses processing over $500,000 a year – plans start at $199 a month plus 6c a transaction and direct cost
- Businesses processing over $5,000,000 a year – plans are built on a bespoke basis at enterprise level, and merchants must request a quote from FattMerchant
In reality, the price for each of the services will increase by $100 a month for every $500,000 in volume.
Application and Approval Process
To get started, click on the Sign Up button and enter some basics. These include:
- Signer’s Name
- Signer’s Number
- Business Name
- Business Type
- Industry Type
After choosing a password, the merchant will need to enter the company’s information:
- Legal Name
- Business Phone Number
- Tax ID/EIN
- Business Open Date
- Business Address
The next stage is to enter information about how the business accepts payments:
- Select the reason for applying for merchant processing
- Choose the refund policy
- Enter the way the company primarily accepts payments
- Describe what the company sells or what service is provided
- Enter the annual gross CC revenue in $
- Enter the average CC transaction size in $
- Enter the largest CC transaction size in $
- Enter the annual gross ACH revenue in $
- Enter the average ACH transaction size in $
- Enter the largest ACH transaction size in $
- Enter the card present %
- Enter the business to business %
- Enter the international card %
Afterwards, the principal signer must enter their information:
- Ownership Percentage
- First and last name
- Phone number
- Date of birth
- Social Security Number
The financial institution details must be entered:
- Account Owner Name
- Routing Number
- Account Number
Applicants need to check the boxes if the principal signer has 0% ownership, or if they have an additional bank account to be used for discount, fees, credits or chargebacks.
The final stage is to enter documents which can expedite the approval process. These can include:
- Voided check
- Past 3 months of processing statements
- Business license
- Driver’s license
- Additional requested documents
Those who provide as many documents as they are able, as well as thorough information pertaining to their business and transactions, will be more likely to obtain a quick approval.
The billing for FattMerchant is provided on a month to month basis, which is ideal for those who do not want to be tied into a contract commitment. Furthermore, there is no early termination fee involved for merchants wanting to jump ship. While the contract allows FattMerchant to submit information for approval with the underwriting department, there are no financial obligations in place where the contract is concerned.
FattMerchant has a section within its knowledge base which covers the company’s security policy. For example, FM specifies that it is a Level 1 PCI service provider, meaning that it offers the highest level of compliance available. Furthermore, FM states that healthcare providers, healthcare organizations and billing agencies can make use of the Omni platform securely to process payments.
Customer Support and Benefits
There is a help center available which can be used specifically for business owners, partners or developers. Alternatively, the search bar can be used to enter a particular query.
Another option is the Support Bot, which will provide relevant articles for queries and keywords entered. Those who need more support can enter their account information as prompted to receive a way to contact support.
The main way to contact customer support is to enter a web form, which has the following fields:
- First and last name
- Preferred communication channel – email or text
- Ticket summary
- Ticket details
- Files and/or screenshots
Address: 618 E South St Suite #510, Orlando, FL 32801